Golden Hollywood: The Makeup Edition
To get an authentic pin up, vintage look - makeup plays a big role. Everything from the right shade of lipstick, the curl of an eyelash, to how winged your eyeliner is can transform your look into full blown Golden Hollywood Retro Babe.
First, find your inspiration! Are you trying to exude the effortlessly, unfussy glamour of Carol Lombard? The fierce beauty of Pam Grier? The show-stopping glam of Marilyn, Sophia, Dorothy? Here are three of my favorite Golden Hollywood inspirations and their beauty tips and tricks!
Darling like Dorothy Dandridge
- Eyebrows with a defined arch. Full but well groomed.
- Black Eyeliner and neutral eye shadow
- Dorothy favored bold, orangey-red lipsticks
- She also drew small beauty marks on her face occasionally
This Carmine Lipstick from Besame (a Vintage Lover's favorite brand) is a true replica of a shade from 1931. It's a glam orange-red, with mostly orange pigments. Perfect for golden and olive skin tones, bright and beautiful on light skin too. A semi-matte finish with one coat full coverage.
For Dorothy's dewy skin - try Lancôme Absolue Cream Foundation in your shade. For Dorothy's glam and gorgeous eyelashes - try Besame's 1940 Cream Mascara. Try Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Eyeliner Pencil for a Beauty Mark ala Dandridge!
Gorgeous and Dreamy like Gene Tierney
Gene Tierney had those mesmerizing blue eyes, that adorable overbite, full lips, high cheekbones and overall porcelain, elegant look. For a dazzling, Gene look:
- Foundation: A similar color to your skin
- Powder: Loose powder to match your skin
- Cream Rouge (not powder, unless that is all you can get) in a rose-pink shade
- Eyebrow Pencil: One shade darker than hair color
- Eye Shadow (optional, for evenings) match eye color, use a matte finish (no shimmer!)
- Mascara: Dark brown or black, or petroleum jelly (Vaseline) only
- Matte RED lipstick
Besame's Cashmere Powder Compact will give your skin a luminous shine like Gene's.
Sophia Loren is a legendary Italian bombshell. She exudes sex appeal and womanly glamour. Her bombshell style:
- Versality: Lips can be red or nude!
- Natural brows well-groomed with a natural, rounded arch
- High cheekbones
- Cat eye, cat eye
There are so many Sophia Loren cat eye tutorials - but this one from The Cut is my favorite. It shows you how to get her Va-Va Voom look.